Call for Submissions: Ten-Minute Plays about Mythical Creatures
The Kathie Rasmussen Women’s Theatre (Krass) invites women playwrights to submit plays to be performed in its 2018-19 season at the Bartell Theatre in Madison, WI.
Theme: Mythical Creatures
Submission Deadline: To assure consideration, submit by March 1, 2017.
We will not consider work that fails to follow our formatting requirements.
- Playwright: must be a woman (including transgender).
- Length: Minimum of 3 minutes, maximum of 10 minutes. No script may be longer than ten pages long. We do not count the separate title page.
- Format: Must be 12 point Times Roman or Times New Roman. Double space throughout.
- Each manuscript must submitted electronically. PDF only. We will not consider paper copies. Email as an attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email two files: a title page file and an anonymous script file.
- The Title page(s) must include the title, playwright’s name, address, phone number and e-mail address. Also include (1) a one- or two-sentence summary of the play and (2) a brief playwright biography and (3) a character list.
- The Script file should include the title but must omit the playwright’s name.
- International submissions are welcome. All scripts must be in English.
- Use the Subject Line: Mythical Creatures: _______ (fill in the blank with the playwright’s name)
- Teams are permitted but please select a single corresponding author.
- Each playwright or team may submit only one script—send us your best!
- We will not consider or respond to plays that have previously received an Equity production, musicals, children’s shows, monologues, longer one-acts, or full-length plays.
- Roles: 2-6 characters of any gender, age, ethnicity, etc. The definition of “mythical” and “creatures” are the playwright’s. All genres will be considered: for example, drama, comedy, sci-fi, futuristic, dystopian, experimental, etc.
- Technical requirements (Props/Costuming etc.): Minimal. As few props and set pieces as possible. Simple costuming. Your piece cannot require material under copyright (songs, images, etc.).
We will do our best to acknowledge receipt, but cannot offer commentary on plays that are not selected.
If we choose your play for production, we may ask you to work with your director to revise your work. If you are not willing to revise, your work cannot be considered.
Playwrights of selected works will receive $50. The award is for the play, and thus if a team’s work is chosen, the team will receive a total of $50. We offer all selected playwrights a complimentary pair of tickets to a single performance, but we are unable to offer additional tickets or payment for travel or lodging.
Selections will be finalized during November, 2017. We will notify all playwrights via email at that time.